Do I have to avoid certain foods while wearing braces?
While you should still be able to eat most of your favourite foods during treatment, there are a few things that can damage and dislodge your brackets. As such, we highly recommend avoiding:
- Chewy sweets such as toffees, etc.
- Chewing gum (unless it is sugar free)
- Hard, crunchy foods such as ice, crusty bread, hard fruit and veg, etc. (Most of these can still be enjoyed if cut into bite-size pieces.)
- Fizzy drinks, sports drinks and flavoured water (including diet varieties)
- Fruit juices (due to acidic content)
This is not an exhaustive list. If you have questions or concerns about what you can eat during treatment, please ask our friendly team members.