WE ARE OPEN: We are following the current Government guidelines and our practice remains open. As always the safety of our patients remains our top priority.
Free remote consultation
Orthodontic treatment for children
As parents we all want to give our children the best start in life, and that includes giving them great teeth. Establishing an effective oral hygiene routine early on in your child’s life is important and will help set them up for clean, healthy teeth in the years to come. However, there is more you can do, such as bringing them in for an early consultation with our specialist orthodontist.
Why is an early consultation important?
While it might seem unusual for a child to receive orthodontic treatment at a very young age, the British Orthodontic Society advises children have an orthodontic consultation by the age of seven. At this age, our specialist orthodontists can make use of your child's growth to deal with any orthodontic problems which, if left, could require complex treatment in their teenage years.
At Aberdeen Orthodontics, we don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach, which is why we draw up a unique treatment plan for each child.
The NHS provides free orthodontic treatment for patients under the age of 18 if they meet strict criteria and there is a clear health need for them to receive treatment. The criteria our specialist orthodontists use to determine whether your child is eligible for NHS funded treatment is the industry rating system, the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN).
This rating system grades your child’s orthodontic needs on a scale of one to five:
- Grade 1: Your teeth are practically perfect, so you won’t be eligible for NHS care.
- Grade 2: You have a minor irregularity, which doesn’t require NHS treatment for dental health reasons.
- Grade 3: You have a moderate irregularity and you might be eligible for NHS care. If you score a 3 then we’ll also look at the appearance of your teeth to determine whether you’re eligible for NHS treatment.
- Grade 4: You have a more severe irregularity and will be eligible for NHS care.
- Grade 5: You have a serious irregularity, which requires NHS treatment for dental health reasons.
IOTN – the aesthetic component: Treatment may also be made available if the appearance of a person's teeth, jaw or face is of concern.
Benefits of early orthodontic treatment
There are many benefits to bringing your child in for an early orthodontic treatment, not just giving them the confidence to smile. Allowing them to meet with our specialist orthodontist means:
- We can identify any orthodontic problems that may be developing and plan to treat them before they get too big
- Your child has the experience of visiting our orthodontic clinic, giving them the opportunity to get used to the practice environment so they’ll feel comfortable when it comes time for treatment.
- You can plan financially for any treatment and by addressing problems before they get too big, we’ll hopefully reduce the amount treatment will cost.
- Your child understands the importance of a good oral hygiene routine.
- By taking a proactive approach to your child’s orthodontic needs, we can work together to reduce the potential for any major treatment.
Book your free consultation
Start your child out on the journey to a beautiful smile. Book an early orthodontic consultation with our team at Aberdeen Orthodontics today.